Christ carried our sins in his body on the cross so that freed from our sins, we could live a life that has God's approval. His wounds have healed you.
1 Peter 2:24
The word of God reveals that God is very interested in our welfare.
The creation account found in Genesis 1:26-31 states-
Then God said, “Let us make humankind in our image, in the likeness of ourselves; and let them rule over the fish in the sea, the birds in the air, the animals, and over all the earth, and over every crawling creature that crawls on the earth.
So God created humankind in his own image; in the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
God blessed them: God said to them, “Be fruitful, multiply, fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea, the birds in the air and every living creature that crawls on the earth.” Then God said, “Here! Throughout the whole earth I am giving you as food every seed-bearing plant and every tree with seed-bearing fruit. And to every wild animal, bird in the air and creature crawling on the earth, in which there is a living soul, I am giving as food every kind of green plant.” And that is how it was. God saw everything that he had made, and indeed it was very good. So there was evening, and there was morning, a sixth day.
There is much to say about this, but in summary form we see several important points.
- We are created in God’s image and likeness. The Hebrew wording paints a picture of us being like a carbon copy, a model or like a lifelike statue of some kind.
God is a spirit, so we are spirit beings.
God is a tripartite God, that means three persons, God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit and this is a major topic in itself.
We are thus a tripartite being, comprising the spirit, our soul which is where the mind will and emotions function and a physical body.
- Man was created to basically live forever, without sickness or death but when what is called original sin came in, everything changed. God had forbidden man to eat the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil in Genesis 2:16-17, saying that if he did, he would die.
When Adam and Eve ate that fruit, from that point onwards, mankind changed from living in a state of perfection to a state of incipient death. Sickness came. We should never get sick, but we do.
- God blessed Adam and Eve. This reveals that we are designed to live in that blessing. John reinforces this in 3 John 2 where we see that we should prosper, be in health and our soul life prospers. Prosperity is not only money and possessions, but a complete lifestyle.
- We are supposed to be fruitful, multiply and live as the dominant species.
- God provided all kinds of food, that in the original design, our food source was in the vegetable kingdom. Later God gave clear instructions as to what kinds of food man could eat and this included meat.
A good balanced diet is revealed throughout scripture.
Foods however have been modified so much that in many cases what we eat can actually be harmful to our bodies. Sugars are found in most products in supermarket shelves, but sugars turn to acids that can cause illness. Over processed foods and Carbohydrates are also dangerous. Products are modified by chemicals and additives to preserve shelf life, create a more colorful presentation, forcefully induce rapid growth or increase physical size.
A good healthy lifestyle avoids excessive consumption of such products.
This means that we need to return to the basics, including getting away from fast foods, frozen dinners and learn how to prepare health foods.